This is one of the best options for organic soil fertilization. We will not open Africa if we say that nature has already invented all the best. You just need to wisely take advantage of what she offers, and not reject the hard work of the mother of humanity. After all, she has been working tirelessly since the beginning of life on this planet. Modern scientists who create chemical fertilizers seem to have lost their way to finding ingredients to achieve the best yields. The concept of “fast and large harvests” has become paramount, and the thesis – “safe and bioavailable for the human body” is in dire need of improvement. But, thank God, there are scientists who are well aware of their global mission, namely, the disclosure of the secrets of chemical compounds that meet the quality requirements for fertilizers and their safety. Yet it seems as simple as H2O – water, so there is life. Today’s farmers need water, and there are acceptable and sustainable methods for stimulating crop cultivation. As simple and useful as a warm summer rain.
Among a number of biological agents used for introduction into the soil, scientists from different parts of the world began to pay attention to the activity of various microorganisms working in tandem with the earth, improving its characteristics many times over. Let’s remember the earthworms, laboriously sorting out millimeter by millimeter lumps of the remains of leaves, twigs, grass and emitting nutritious humus. But, unfortunately, the situation with large areas of cultivated agricultural land is such that it is difficult to find even living worms. They cannot compete with toxic agrochemistry. Therefore, the question of rethinking the approach to the impact on the chemical composition of the soil has ripened, as they say, yesterday.
For more than one year, Ukrainian scientists have tested and studied algae that interact with an organic component. In what environment do they develop, how can they transfer useful substances and whether they can resist various fungal pathogens in the open field. Among the world famous algae, unicellular colonial microorganisms – cyanobacteria (NF Algae) – have shown themselves to be very effective in research. Or they are also called – nitrogen-fixing soil algae Nostoc commune. To grow them on an industrial scale, a system of bioreactors is used, in which conditions close to natural are created. Moisture, nutrition and other conditions conducive to the active reproduction of these microorganisms is an extremely troublesome process and requires not only expensive technical means, but also the exceptional experience of specialists. Work in this direction has been going on for decades in different countries. And it is in Ukraine that chemists-technologists have achieved such success in creating a separate strain that would keep its properties for the required time after application to the fields.
After cultivating the algae in a biorector, all of their content is beneficial to science. Thus, the grown new colonies of Nostoc commune should become maternal for the next “perinatal centers” for the reproduction of these microorganisms. But most of the liquid is a very valuable concentrate of waste products of nitrogen-fixing soil algae. The developers called it culture liquid. And it is she who becomes a unique basis for biofertilizers. Living water gives plants a second life. Remember in fairy tales the story of living and dead water? Both are needed so that flora and fauna get an impetus for development. In the dead – all trace elements, and in the living – life-giving force and energy. It seems that we are present at a time when a fairy tale is just a reality of science, shedding the vestments of oral legend.
Can I take this type of algae and grow it myself? And then, having received the nutritious liquid, water the garden? In theory, yes! But, firstly, it is almost impossible to create conditions for growing this type of Nostoc commune at home. Secondly, for better interaction with the soil, a special strain of nitrogen-fixing soil algae was developed, which has become a highly anticipated tool for organic farming and has already been supported by registration documents.
So what do we have? Powerful, biologically active, absolutely harmless, but on the contrary – useful in many respects product for seed treatment and even better – green mass during the growing season. At the first tests of this drug, the farmers were extremely surprised by its effect. First, the fact that the earth retains moisture several times longer – due to the maintenance of the vital activity of other biological components in the soil. And – what was most striking – the field treated with the diluted concentrate of the agent, there was a striking difference. It looks greener, the leaves are juicier and larger. And when experimenting with amaranth seeds, its roots grew several times more, in contrast to the sample without interaction with this cyanobacterium. She also contributed to the fact that the amaranth grew faster, and the sprouts stretched out larger. Therefore, these facts clearly indicate that it is necessary to process the seeds before sowing, as well as spray the leaves of amaranth and other plants in the early period of growth.
Nitrogen-fixing soil algae can be used together with the introduction of the necessary microelements and separately from these measures. Miraculously, this type of organic fertilizer neutralizes pathogenic fungal infections in the root system or on the stems of plants, and does not touch those that are “on friendly terms” with crops. This is due to the fact that this microorganism has existed on the planet for more than one billion years. Its DNA learned to fight for life, repelling disease-causing individuals of microscopic biodiversity, and with beneficial ones – in mutually beneficial interaction.
Benefits of Nostoc commune as an organic fertilizer
- Using a concentrate of cultured soil algae Nostoc commune, you introduce into the soil a biologically balanced amount of macro- and microelements, 17 free biological amino acids. An organic product contains several groups that stimulate plant growth: phytohormones (auxins, hibernins, cytokinins), mannitol and other biologically active substances.
- This biofertilizer from a Ukrainian manufacturer is one of the options for the rapid restoration of agricultural land, where the balance of nutrients is disturbed as a result of drought, landslides, erosion, flooding, etc. 17 billion live cyanobacteria are enough to process 1 ton of wheat. This mixture must be diluted with water to a working solution before use. In terms of volume, this is: irrigation with a working solution of 10-12 liters per one ton of grain.
- Farmers also save on synthetic applications during the planting season. This is well reflected in the nitrate composition of the final products from the fields.
- Already today, Nostoc commune concentrate has been tested in greenhouses and in hydroponic technology for growing vegetables. The results are not only quietly pleasing, they amaze agricultural producers with many years of experience in growing tomatoes, cucumbers, flowers, and various vegetables. In particular, amaranth and other crops grown as microgreens have a chance to get better growth results with this technology.
- Since the concentrate has the consistency of mucus, it is also called colonial mucus, which also has an excellent water-retaining function. Several regions of Ukraine rarely see rain every summer. Farmers lose not only profits, but also the funds already invested. This unique method helps to retain up to 40% moisture in the soil. The result was confirmed by agricultural companies in the field, when not a single drop of rain fell on the crops for several hot months.
- After treatment with a solution, the soil becomes looser, which gives the plant roots more opportunities to receive nutrients from the air.
And the most amazing thing about these algae is the presence in the composition of “signaling molecules”, which are a natural form of doping for plants. Any crops that receive this “living water” discover their potential to the maximum: growth time, size, absorption of nutrients from the surrounding space, etc.
These beneficial microorganisms have so many positive qualities that we will soon not be surprised if we learn that they will be transported to Mars to provide astronauts with organic food. Of course, at first it will be scientific tests and many pages of reports. But this is all the work of scientists, and for you and me it’s just interesting what green technologies will allow us to quickly master the distant red planet.
Let’s leave these ideas for implementation in reality to smart bees from science. It is certain that already now the cultural microbiological representatives of Nostoc commune (TU U 20.1-40315814-004: 2020) must revolutionize the cultivation of food in a purely organic way. Prior to this, chemists and biologists worked hard on the creation and production of a large number of chemical fertilizers, a good part of which negatively affected the state of soils around the world. Now the turn is to effectively renew them, without prejudice to the land and consumers. Algolization of soils also plays an important role here, that is, the introduction of living biomass of algae into the soil. It “enhances the development of soil nitrogen-fixing bacteria in the rhizosphere.” Such measures allow already in the first year of application to obtain an increase in yield by 20-30% (according to the registered indicators), and in subsequent years they will create conditions that will positively affect the state of large-scale land areas cultivated by agro-industrial farms. It is pleasant to note that this type of fertilizers of natural origin is one of a number of existing technologies of organic farming, developed by Ukrainian scientists and already presented on the fertilizer market.