Amaranth is a truly universal product. In addition to many recipes of the first and second courses, bread, sweet pastries, it is used in the recipe of home-made beer and even industrial production.
We have no doubt that the recipe for homemade beer with amaranth has already interested you. By the way, there is nothing complicated or special about it. To brew beer from the seeds of this plant, take your favorite beer recipe and simply replace barley or wheat malt with amaranth. Consider that amaranth must be taken 2-2.5 times more than wheat or barley. And the most suitable for the use of amaranth are light ales or lagers.
Buy only food grains and never seeds for planting. Seeds may contain pesticides and insecticides.
Technology of producing amaranth malt
What you need:
- 2 buckets
- 2 large baking sheets
- 2 kitchen towels
- amaranth seeds
The first stage – the germination of seeds
- Take 5-10 kg of amaranth seeds and pour an equal amount in two buckets.
- Fill the seeds with cool water so that the water covers them 1.5 cm above.
- Cover the buckets with wet towels.
- Buckets should stand in a cool (below 20 ° C) and dark place for about 24 hours.
- Stir and change the water every eight hours. It is necessary that the water is not acidified, and the shoots are not moldy.
- Transfer the seeds to the trays and cover with towels to keep them moist. Leave for 48 hours in a wet and cool place to germinate.
- Germination time may be less or more, the main thing is that the shoots reach 6 mm.
Drying germinated seeds
- It is best to dry the seeds first on a sheet outside or in the attic. If this is not possible, you can immediately proceed to the next stage.
- In an oven with ventilation, set the temperature to 30-40 ° C, put baking trays in it.
- Dry the seeds in the oven, stirring and checking the readiness every 30 minutes. It is necessary that they are dried, but not baked. The drying process can take up to a day. Instead of the oven, you can use a fruit dryer.
- After complete drying, it is necessary to separate the sprouts from the grains. For this you can use a fabric bag. Pour the seeds into the bag and rub them with your hands, after which they should be sown in the wind or with the help of a fan.
Roasting for malt
Dried and peeled roots and sprouts seeds are roasted in the oven for 10 minutes. The temperature depends on the malt you want to get. For malt production, Pilsner Amaranth is fried at 65 ° C, amber – 120 ° C, dark – 160 ° C, 200 ° C or higher – for chocolate malt. This process requires experimentation, observation, and patience. To successfully fry the amaranth, make a test batch with a small amount of germinated seeds.
The taste of amaranth beer is significantly improved by infusing it in a bottle for several weeks.
Scientists on amaranth for beer
Amaranth food. The expediency of using amaranth in industrial brewing has been proven by Russian scientists. Its seeds and flour are good raw materials for beer production due to a number of properties:
- The optimal protein-lipid composition of amaranth flour: protein 17.0, lipids 2.5.
- The presence of a starch that is unique in its characteristics: its granules are much smaller than those of other crops, they are fairly smooth and react well with enzymes.
- The absence of sulfur-containing amino acids that contribute to the formation of protein turbidity.
- Lower than for traditional crops, the cost of growing and high yields.
The technology of industrial beer production using amaranth was developed back in 2002, and in the work of researchers published in 2016, it is noted that adding 20% amaranth from the total amount of grain products is optimal. At the same time, the finished beer has a darker, harmonious, refreshing taste with citrus and malt hues.
Guseva G.V. (2002) Beer technology development using amaranth: author. dis. … Cand. tech. Sciences: 05.18.07.
Danina M.M. Ivanchenko OB Domoroschenkova M.L. (2016) Development of beer technology with amaranth flour / Bulletin of Voronezh State University of Engineering Technologies. Issue number 1 (67).