We are talking about small amounts of amaranth on an area smaller than a hectare. In this case, almost all work is done manually, and the final product meets the high quality requirements. Such production can be found in the sole household, and, as dictionaries claim, is often created with the aim of maintaining and improving the conditions of existence and livelihoods. How does it look in practice?
As a former teacher began to grow amaranth
To an example of the former teacher from the Kazankovsky district of the Nikolaev area on cultivation of an amaranth, certainly, anyone can follow. This is practiced when a person grows a culture more to promote the health of his family and friends. But behind this – many examples of the manifestation of the healing properties of amaranth and the enormous diligence of the person who decided to grow this culture.
Olga Viktorovna Gulko began to grow amaranth almost 8 years ago.
– I started to grow it for myself and my family for the purpose of recovery. At one time I had been looking for amaranth oil for a long time, and at that time it was not anywhere. I read that, it seems, there is nothing so complicated, and I started growing. Then it turned out that you can still support the household – to feed chickens, turkeys.
The culture is beautiful, and I began to exhibit photos on social networks, began to communicate, including with people who already knew what it was. Like-minded people appeared, and then admirers of amaranth products. People wrote, asked to sell, send, – I sent the grain of amaranth for porridge. From the very beginning, athletes were very interested in this product: to build muscle, you need protein, and amaranth has a large amount of vegetable protein. Then moms are young, who have problems with breastfeeding, those with babies who suffer from non-digestion of milk, have also been treated, expelled, shared. The extract from amaranth seeds can be made at home – they also took it from me. People thanked and shared the result of how this product works.
Many, having tried this product, asked how to grow. Sent seeds to all regions of Ukraine, to all regions, even to Georgia, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan. When they talked, people told how it grows, what features in each region.
Olga Gulko’s experience in growing amaranth
Indeed, many are interested in the practical side of growing amaranth. Regarding this, Olga Gulko immediately notes:
– I am always happy to share my growing experience. In small areas we grow. All work is done manually, only plowing the tractor. And then we take in the hands of the rake and all this becomes agitated several times. We use household cultivator (ordinary, in garden and garden stores for sale). In the spring several times we exterminate the grass. In the autumn we have a tractor plowed, and all, the earth winters. In the spring we begin to close the moisture, remove the weeds and then sow the seeds. We sow with ordinary sevalchka, which is also sold in all gardening shops.
So that the harvesting is uniform, then when the side processes of amaranth appear, we cut them, and this then goes for tea.
Separately, we dwell on the sequence of the stages of the process.
– Here we prepared the ground, then we do the markup, where we will have rows. We do the rows ourselves at a distance of 20 centimeters, and this is due to the fact that in a household cultivator the knife is designed for 20 centimeters. We sow at the rate of 1 kilogram on 1 hectare. We sow more, and then we break through, leaving the strongest shoots.
– And you break through and throw away?
– No, we break through and fold, and then dry. From these plants, which we break through and dry, a very good and healthy tea is obtained. Leaves – in a salad (delicious salad).
Sometime in the late autumn, doctors came from Nikolaev, but my harvest was already gathered, there were only roots with long stems, so they asked: can I dig up the roots. It turns out that these roots are very well used in the treatment of hepatitis.
– Seeds for sowing using only your own?
– Yes. At the time, received the seeds at the Kharkov Institute. Now I try to keep the varieties from overlapping. Although for its consumption, in order to make a hood, for cereals it does not really matter. Even (if for yourself) you can plant several varieties on the same bed. First, these varieties are multi-colored: Ultra – light green, Kharkovsky – dark green, Student – orange, Lera – red, almost cherry. Secondly, they ripen at different times: Ultra is the very first, then Kharkov and Student, Lera – at the end of the season. Therefore, from the end of May until snowfall, until late autumn, you can have greens for salad, as well as grain.
– What is the yield obtained?
– I have a yield less than 2 tons per hectare, it does not work. We have a good region, and if it still rains, it is very good. I do not water, but our water is expensive. And if it rains, and the weather is good, you can even take more, and large spikes turn out, large volosts.
For our region, the best variety is Ultra. It can be grown and removed without extra costs. It ripens in our buds, we clean it completely dry in July, and we don’t need to be completely dried, we don’t need any premises to dry and bring to the standard. We clean and immediately clean: it is easy to clean. And if you need more on greens, then you can sow and still have time to collect on greens.
– Do you have one variety occupying one area, and another – another?
– Yes. One variety in one garden, another variety in another garden, and the distance between them is large.
How does product marketing look like
Sales of small volumes of grown products are also in small batches.
– They started ordering in large quantities only now, after the Association was established (Association of Amaranth and Amaranth Producers. Approx. Of the author). And so – who for himself, then 3-5 kg.
It used to be very difficult with sales, but I wasn’t very worried about that. I grew more for myself, and it was also interesting to experiment on how best to grow. There were many failures: they sowed a large area, and only a few individuals grew.
Features of the practical application of theoretical knowledge
– It is believed that amaranth is an unpretentious plant …
– When it is already large – 30-40 centimeters, perhaps, unpretentious. But first you need to grow it, and to guess the weather is difficult because it is afraid of frost. And then: amaranth is sown only 1 cm, and if there is no long rain, then you can ruin everything. Or the ground is wet, it is a bit “spiked”, and the heat, he also does not have time to rise. But if you guess the weather, then it is really unpretentious. It is not necessary to water amaranth, it just likes to have access to air, therefore it is necessary to loosen the earth, and that is enough.
– Loosen the ground by hand?
– We do everything manually. We use an ordinary household cultivator small, and the work is done quickly, without much effort.
A more time consuming process is cleaning, because we clean with ordinary household appliances: a sieve, we need thick gloves. When the amaranth dries well, it has a prickly, hard spine. You begin to pull the hair through the sieve, the seeds fall out along with the prickles. Then there are two degrees of purification: first large, then small, and at the end, when we run, and if there is no wind, we use ordinary household fans. We put on masks in order not to breathe with the awnings.
– Do you use any plant protection products?
– No. Fought antiquated methods. These are ordinary onion arrows, young garlic and a pack of the cheapest cigarettes – I prepare a solution of them, it will stand for several days. I insist it in a barrel just on the street, and then an ordinary household sprayer is processed, that’s all. Of the pests, I came across only a midge that eats beet. We are fighting with her in this old-fashioned way.
Year to year is not necessary. And even depends on the site. For example, the plot near where the neighbors sowed more beet, and there this aphid appeared, then, naturally, it would spread to another plot. And it happens that you can not use anything at all.
– And how do you cook the field, fertilize for sowing?
– No. From chemistry nothing. Here, for example, we clean the chicken coop, and dump the litter into a compost heap, and then we prepare fertilizer. But it is in small quantities and not in tons. We make the prepared fertilizers in the fall, under plowing. It’s enough.
– Now we have to certify products …
– When I was faced with the fact that I grew amaranth, and called from retail chains, they were interested in, from the Eco-shop, and they asked for a document for this grain. I went to Kiev, applied to various organizations, and they told me that they would be happy to give out a certificate, but … Explained to me: what is a certificate? This is a document where the parameters are indicated (there are several positions). But if we have never dealt with this product, we do not have the parameters by which we could issue a certificate. And they said it was impossible. Therefore, I do not have a certificate. But Eco-benches take amaranth seeds from me.
All the processes were photographed on my phone: what we sow, what and how we loosen, when the first shoots appeared, and how we clean the aisle, and how we clean everything with a sieve.
Whoever took the amaranth from me knows that it is delicious.
Both me and the people who took the amaranth from me have a recipe for preparing the hood. It is prepared on the basis of linseed oil and olive, and the hood can be made at home. One of those who took the hood from me, makes it myself, has access to a good laboratory in their company, and he checked the hood, it turned out that it contains 4-6% squalene. Therefore, it practically does not differ from high-quality oil. It is made from whole grain flour, that is, amaranth seeds are ground, poured with quality linseed or olive oil in certain quantities, infused, then filtered, and this is a guaranteed high-quality and pure product.
On the healing properties of amaranth on their own experience
Olga Viktorovna gave an example when a person who has been suffering from psoriasis for a long time has reduced the manifestations of the disease using an extract from amaranth seeds. She was convinced of the miraculous power of amaranth on her own experience.
– The decoction of amaranth seeds is very useful. I have cancer, and I had to lie in the oncology department, talk, and I talked about amaranth. People who were already almost exhausted, after chemistry, when you do not want to eat anything … The decoction from amaranth seeds is like jelly, such liquid is cloudy, and when you eat it, strength and appetite appear. This is from experience.
– Many are talking about the healing properties of amaranth …
– I know by myself, and I saw people who underwent radiation therapy, the immune system of a person suffers, and it weakens, then this decoction, and more porridge help a lot. I came across people who had oncology both in the female part, and the lungs were affected, and the circulatory system, blood problems, after the consumption of amaranth, no one said anything bad. There was a case when a woman could not eat anything (she had problems with digestion), then they watered her with this broth, like a small child, and her strength appeared, there was a desire to walk, eat. I can not say that for some illness porridge is needed, and for some – a decoction – everything is important in the complex.
– Can you share some recipe? The same decoction: how do you cook?
– For 1 liter of water, take 1 cup of washed amaranth seeds, boil for 15 minutes, allow to cool to room temperature, and this broth can be drunk during the day. My aunt drank this broth and “knocked down” sugar in diabetes. Before that, nothing could knock.
Cook porridge – no need to grind grain. But if she is there all the time, she is bored like any other. And you don’t eat much of it, because it’s heavy on the stomach. You can cook it in tomato sauce, in tomato juice, and add a little fish and even herring, and then it turns out like red caviar.
In all soups, no matter what soup you cook, add 2 tablespoons of amaranth grain to it, and it will be enriched with useful substances.
If you grind grain in a household coffee grinder, you get flour that can be added to a sandwich: you have made a butter sandwich, for example, and you can just sprinkle it with a little flour, and you will already know that you have consumed protein. Drink yogurt – add too. It is possible in the evening to insist amaranth grain in yogurt, but it turns out to be hard anyway. On a glass, let’s say, 1-2 spoons, but this is all individually.
Olga Gulko plans to create in social networks a special page dedicated to the cultivation of amaranth and the properties of this culture. And, of course, – providing all possible assistance to all who need it.