This amaranth recipe is common in India. In this country, the plant is revered, because its grains are considered to be among the most nutritious grains in the world.
This recipe will be especially appreciated by vegetarians, as potato-amaranth flatbreads are extremely nourishing, but also incredibly tasty. Besides, cooking them is a real pleasure.
The amaranth in this recipe gives the potato a special crust – tasty and rich. Naturally, the use of grain has a positive effect on the organoleptic properties of the dish.
How to cook potato amaranth tortillas
We give the number of ingredients based on 4 servings, that is, the dishes will be enough to fully feed 4 people.
Ingredients for Lozenges
- Several large potatoes (total – about 800 grams);
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped;
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil;
- 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds;
- 1 tablespoon of coriander seeds;
- 2 teaspoons of mustard;
- 2 tablespoons of coriander leaves, chopped;
- 1 green chilli, chopped and chopped;
- 1 teaspoon salt;
- 30 grams of amaranth grains;
- 200 ml of vegetable oil for frying cakes.
Ingredients for Sauce
- Juice of 4 small limes (80 ml);
- 40 grams of maple syrup;
- 3 tablespoons of coriander leaves, chopped;
- 1 tablespoon of mint leaves, chopped;
- 2 tablespoons of parsley leaves, chopped;
- ½ clove garlic, minced;
- 10 grams of ginger root, coarsely chopped;
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil;
- 2 tablespoons of water;
- ½ tsp salt;
- ½ soft chilli, chopped.
Note! You do not have to prepare the sauce, as described here. Firstly, it’s not so easy to pick up all the ingredients, although they are available in large supermarkets. Secondly, its preparation can take a lot of time. Therefore, you can serve potato amaranth tortillas with any other sauce of your preparation. Or even with the usual Ukrainian sour cream!
How to make sauce
But the sauce recipe we leave. So that you have an idea how to prepare this dish according to all canons in India. You may want to do everything as described in the recipe.
So, to make a sauce for potato-amaranth tortillas:
- pour the lime juice and maple syrup into a small saucepan;
- bring to a slight boil and reduce the heat, leave on the fire for about five minutes, bring to the consistency of liquid syrup;
- Mix all the other ingredients of the sauce with the syrup in a blender and beat until a soft, slightly watery paste is obtained;
- taste should be sweet and spicy;
- add salt to your liking.
Note! If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water, whisk everything again.
How to cook potato amaranth tortillas
Peel and chop the potatoes. Put in a saucepan with cold water, bring to a boil and cook for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.
Meanwhile, gently fry the onions in oil until golden brown. Drain cumin, coriander seeds and mustard in another saucepan over medium heat until they release their flavors, and then grind them to the consistency of powder in a mortar. Potato-amaranth cakes vegetarian recipe
Drain the potatoes, place them in a bowl and gently shake. Add onion, spicy powder, coriander, chili. Mix well and add salt to taste.
With the hands of the potato mass, make small tortillas – about 5 centimeters in diameter and 0.5 centimeters thick. Spread the amaranth on a plate and lightly press the cakes to it so that the grains are well covered with the cake. Turn it over and press it with the second side.
Heat the oil and lightly brown the cakes on all sides until a crispy, golden crust appears on both sides. Transfer to a kitchen towel to soak up the excess vegetable oil on which you fry the tortillas. Serve them warm, putting a little sauce on the side of the plate. But, again, instead of canonical sauce, you can use regular sour cream. It will still be delicious! And maybe even extremely tasty!